3.14.2011

All around me
the earth cracks and rolls.
The waves sweep away all I have worked so hard for,
my house is split in two.

But I am completely unfazed,
because
"God is my refuge and strength,
an ever-present help in trouble."

He stands right here next to me
and steadies me against the ground's shaking.
He grips me tightly by the arm as the
waters try to pull me away.
He sits with me huddled in the corner
of my ruined home.

I am not afraid.

Years ago, when hard times would come
I would fear like any other man.
Before I knew God,
the storms of life would shipwreck me.
Until one day He said,
"Be still and know that I am God.
None of this has escaped my sight.
Your troubles are no foreign concept to me;
I am your shield and your strength.
But know this:
I am much more concerned with
the condition of your heart
than with the status of your possessions.
I am to be worshipped amongst all peoples,
by every nation and tribe,
in every tongue known to men
and every tongue hidden from men's ears.
You are to love me with everything
that is within you.
And I will overwhelm you with my love
in a downpour greater than any
you could ever imagine."

This is why I have confidence in the LORD.

I have watched Him scatter armies before Himself
like ants from a flame.
I have seen Him crack the pride of leaders,
making their knees to bow to Him in humility.
I have beheld Him in visions from the Word,
seated resplendent on His throne,
presiding over the earth in majesty
and absolute sovereignty.
In that day and from that point on,
peace will be the scepter wielded by His hand.
I have been fully immersed
in the love and joy of His presence.

These present troubles are of no concern to me.
This is the God who is with me,
the God I have pledged myself to.
"The LORD Almighty is with me;
the God of Jacob is my fortress."
What is there to be afraid of?

1 comment: