10.28.2010

Wretched. Righteous.

Oh wretched man that I am, I sit alone in a crowded place,
With a worthless tongue that’s begging to taste
A sip of Your sweetness, Your mercy, Your grace.

Oh wretched man that I am, I stand vacant of worth
How majestic is Your name in all the earth!
What am I but bloody, breathing dirt?

Oh wretched man that I am, I lie for nothing more can I do.
My tongue knows no truth, my body won’t move,
But trembles at the thought of You.

But You, Oh Great God that You are, sit stirring a stormy sea,
Resting Your feet on a world that you breathed
From a throne fit for a King of Kings.

And You, Oh Ancient of Days, Your face too righteous for me to see
Created a world that revolves on Your glory
But keeps silent so I might tell you my story

But oh wretched man that I am, I’ll never stand before the king
My body is covered in the sinful stench of human suffering
And nothing more than this could I bring.

“Oh blessed man that You are, I made you to sit at my side,
My son, my brother, my friend, my lover, my sin sick, beautiful bride,
You are my greatest pride.“

Oh Wretched man that I am, I sit just lower than the angels.
Pride of heaven, Love of God, is my glory through the ages.
My wretched righteousness eclipsed by a God who deserves my praises.

[Submitted by: CJ Ward]

3 comments:

  1. I kind of picture mosquito fleet singing this. I have read it several times and new insight comes to mind each time. Nice.

    How did you get into doing poetry?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks.
    I've just always loved it. I guess one day I was just kinda like "I think I could do that" and did it. haha

    ReplyDelete